The Reading Fire Department was founded in 1886 and provides fire suppression, emergency medical services, rescue, fire prevention/public education and other related services to the residents, property owners and visitors to Reading and Arlington Heights. Department staff includes approximately 33 men and women who serve in full-time, part-time and paid-on-call capacities and administrative staff. The Department consists of three Divisions: Operations Division, Emergency Medical Services Division and the Fire Prevention Bureau. The department provides services out of two facilities 24 hours per day/7 days per week utilizing a combination of full-time, part-time and paid on call staff.
The Reading Fire Department operates one 24-hour fire station (83) and one unmanned fire station (84). The Valley Station, located at 1000 Market st., is manned with 4 career and 1 part-time personnel. The administrative division is also located here.
The Hilltop Station, located at 601 E. Columbia Ave., is manned with paid on-call and off-duty personnel.